Thursday, 30 January 2014

Jonathan Reveals How Much Naira FG Will Spend On Police

President Goodluck Jonathan said that the Federal Government would spend N1.5 trillion in the next five years to reform the Nigeria Police Force.
Photo: N1.5 trillion will be spent on Nigerian police reformation in the next 5 years
Jonathan made this known at a two-day retreat on “Sustaining Nigeria Police Reforms’’, in Makurdi on Thursday.
Represented by Sen. Bala Mohammed, the Minister of the FCT, Jonathan said government was committed to build the capacity of the police force in the country through ongoing reforms.
According to President, 60 per cent of the money will be provided by government, while the remaining 40 per cent would come from the private sector, including non-governmental organisation.
He assured that the Federal Government was committed to equipping the police for enhanced performance.
He said the Federal Government had accepted the recommendations of Gov. Peter Obi’s committee on the police and would soon issue a white paper on it.
Gov. Gabriel Suswam, in his remark, said that the police had to imbibe the discipline of being accountable to the elected representatives of the people. Suswam said that by being accountable, the police would consult widely with the people through their representatives to reflect their views on police reforms.

In an address, the Chairman, PSC, Mr Mike Okiro, called for a national policy on policing to ensure continuity of policies in the force.
Okiro, a former Inspector General of Police, decried the non-implementation of various police reform committees in the country. He said that most of the committees echoed the need for police restructuring, training and retraining.
Meanhwile the Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, said the police management, had aligned its policies with the recommendations of previous reform committees. According to him, the essence of the alignment was to strengthen the police for effective service delivery in line with international best practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment